Brief tour of the Church
1) The West rose window of a St Andrew’s Cross.
2) Brownie corner. Until the early 1980s there were thriving Brownie and Guide groups in the church. Their flag is above the left door at the front. Some of the “girls” in the photos still attend the church.
3) Plaques to some of the parishioners who died during WWI.
4) St Cuthbert. Designed by L.C.Evetts in 1960. Note the map of Lindisfarne.
5) The Holy Sepulchre on the first Easter Morning. Clayton & Bell 1912. To the memory of James Cook, for 33 years a vestryman and treasurer.
6) Wall Plaques. Archibald Alexander was one of the founding Trustees and Vestrymen.
His grandson fell in WWI.
7) WWII Memorial.
8) Pulpit. Like the font, is said to be of Caen stone, carved to the architect’s design. Note the words around it.
9) East Window. Clayton & Bell 1904. To the memory of William Alexander Montgomerie, 2nd son of the 15th Earl of Eglinton and Winton, a Vestryman and Trustee. It was placed by “Cricketers and other Friends associated with him in the game at Eglinton”. The plaque associated with this window is underneath the window to your right.
Green altar cloth. The design is taken from the stone sarcophagus found near Ardrossan Castle in 1911, which is now on display at the Saltcoats Heritage Centre.
The Altar Rail is dedicated to the memories of those who fell in WWII.
The paintings are by William Hole of Edinburgh in 1900, depicting St Mungo or Kentigern, The Blessed Virgin Mary, St Andrew and St Margaret Queen of Scotland.
The present wooden framework was installed in 1947 and is dedicated to former parishioners. The central part is a memorial to Rev A.G.H. Pinhorne who was Rector here for 18 years, and to his wife who was “a beloved Brown Owl”
10) Chancel south window
Christ healing the blind man at Bethsaida and at the grave of Lazarus. Clayton & Bell, 1912.
Mothers’ Union Banner
12) Transept windows – take a good look and you will see what we need to “Restore”
13) Matchstick Model – by Jim Millar of Kilwinning. His trademark is the dove.
14) Ascension Window with the Angel Picking Tulips. Designed by John Harrington Mann and made by J&W Guthrie of Glasgow in 1894. It is described in Michael Donnelly’s book of Glasgow stained glass as “In the ecclesiastical field his finest surviving work in Scotland is almost certainly the Ascension window for St Andrew’s parish Church Ardrossan”.